Red Bird / Boundary Line For ATV Riding
The 9th most popular all terrain vehicle trail in Florida.
Sunday 20 November 2016 05:09 GMT
East of Naples, the Big Cypress National Preserve has several areas open to ATV riding. In the southeast corner of the Preserve, there are two interconnected trail systems open to OHV users, Red Bird Lane and Boundary Line (shown in Red on map). Keep an eye out for panthers and alligators.
To reach the primary ATV trailhead for the Red Bird / Boundary Line in the Big Cypress National Preserve from US75, use Exit #80. Head south on SR29 to US41. Turn left heading east on US41 for roughly 37 miles. Continue past the Visitor Center. Turn right on CR94 heading southwest to trailheads.
This area requires a permit from the National Preserve before arriving. The following permits are required for ORV use within the preserve:
- Vehicle Inspection Permit (free at the visitor center upon vehicle meeting specifications)
- BICY ORV Operator's License (free after taking orientation course at the visitor center) note: must possess valid state driver’s license or learner’s permit (and accompanied by a licensed adult 18 years or older)
- ORV Permit ($50.00 at the visitor center)
- Backcountry Permit (free at trailhead, Required for all backcountry activities)
AREAS CLOSED TO MOTORIZED USE
- A one-mile wide buffer zone parallel to U.S. Highway 41 (Tamiami Trail) is closed to ORV use except on designated trails to cross the zone from designated access points.
- Zone 4 Cape Sable Seaside Sparrow Protection Area - see map.
- Loop Unit, Deep Lake Unit, Copeland Prairie areas, Zone 1, Addition Lands and all prairies - see map.
- The preserve is closed to ORV use between the hours of 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
- 11-mile road and the Florida National Scenic Trail are closed to motorized travel, vehicles may cross at designated points.
- Any zone may close temporarily due to environmental and emergency conditions. This is especially true of Zone 4, which may be closed due to hydrologic conditions.
- An annual 60-day seasonal closure to all ORV use throughout the preserve, has generally been starting in June, but the dates may vary.
- Do not attempt this area during wet season since the trails will be flooded.
Note: As of July 2008, the State Of Florida requires riders under 16 years old to have taken an approved OHV safety course and to carry proof of course certification.
Overall, Red Bird / Boundary Line is the 9th most popular ATV riding trail of all 20 ATV trails in Florida. Several of the better atv trails are nearby Red Bird / Boundary Line including Bear Island Unit and Turner River Road.