Off the North African Coast, the Canary Islands have many great riding opportunities. Tenerife has an amazing network of trails and dirt roads. Here are some of the bettermountain bike route options.
1) Teide - Arico Downhill is a 30km downhillmountain bike route with a vertical drop of 1,700m. It is a fun descent from Izana to Chimiche.
2) Arenas Negras is a 30-40kmmountain bike route with 500-800m of vertical through volcanic terrain. Themountain bike route starts in Chico and passes across lava seas. There are views of the north side of Mt. Teide.
3) La Esperanza is a 40kmmountain bike route with 1,000m of vertical. Start by taking a transfer to the municipality of La Esperanza which is close to La Laguna. Themountain bike route passes through dense Canary pine wood forest while heading towards Las Lagunetas.
4) Teide-El Medano is a 65kmmountain bike route with 2,330m of vertical drop. Start from the summit of Mt. Teide and drop 2,330m down to the sea near Vegas.
5) La Escalona is a 48kmmountain bike route with 1,600m of vertical climbing. Start by taking a transfer to La Escalona, and then head towards Vilaflor. Then follow the Madre de Agua track while crossing the Barranco del Rio. Then descend to Arico.
6) Los Llanos is a 50kmmountain bike route with 1,300m of vertical climbing. Start by taking a transfer to Chico wood. Themountain bike route starts with a 1,500m descent to Los Llanos and finish with an 1,800m climb to La Orotava.
Overall, Tenerife is the 10th most popular mountain bike trail of all 20 mountain biking rides in Spain.