North of Albany near North Creek in the Adirondack Mountains, the Gore Mountain ski area has 8 trails open to cross country skiing.
For apres ski, try Caseys North.
To reach the ski area from the south, follow NYS Thruway to Exit 24. Take I-87 (the Northway) to Exit 23 (Warrensburg). Follow Route 9 for 4 miles to Route 28 and proceed 16 miles to 793 Peaceful Valley Road.
Descriptions Of Easy Trails:
- Bobcat Loop - offering a great combination of gentle rolls and climbs for beginning snowshoers , or providing a fast-paced aerobic worker for the more experienced. (.7 km)
- Little Notch Loop - easy climbs and descents make it perfect for beginners. Winds past ledges and rock outcroppings. Provides access to Bobcat Loop and Alexas Run. (1.1 km)
- Tannery Alpine - a wide trail, popular with skiers who prefer the skating technique. Gentle to moderate climbs. (1.6 km). Above the upper Tannery Loop crossing of Tannery Alpine exists the remains of Swansons Sawmill, built during the 1920s. The foundation housed a steam boiler for the mills operation. The Straight Brook and its feeder streams were dammed, providing the water supply for the boiler. Tannin, a chemical extracted from the bark of hemlock trees, was used in the tanning of leather for many years.
- Partridge Lane - a narrow trail with a moderate climb. Partridge Lane bypasses the more varied terrain of lower Doe Brook. (.6 km)
- Partridge Cut-Off - short and gentle, an excellent trail for first timers or those looking for a brief outing. (.5 km)
Descriptions Of Moderate Trails:
- Alexa Run - an intermediate trail with some long uphills and downhills. Leads to Gore Mt Access Rd. Cross the road with CAUTION. After two small stream crossings a short climb brings you to the Doe Brook Loop. (1.6 km)
- Doe Brook Loop - a wide scenic trail through mixed hardwoods and evergreens. Enjoy the views above the Straight Brook valley. A challenge for advanced skaters. (2.6 km)
- Tannery Loop - moderate climbs and descents through stands of spruce, firs and mixed hardwoods. Parallels the deep ravine of the Straight Brook. Enjoy a picnic lunch at this overlook. (1.6 km)
Overall, Gore Mountain Ski Area is the 55th most popular cross country ski area of all 61 Nordic ski destinations in New York.