Southwest of Bolzano in the Brenta Dolomites, the Madonna di Campiglio area is becoming a mecca with its extensive cross-country trail system. The 15km Centro Sci da Fondo Campo Carlo Magno trail system starts right from town. There is a 20km path from Caderzone and Carisolo, which passes through Giustino and Pinzolo.
To reach this area from Milan, head east on Route A4. In Bergamo, follow Route SS42 north. In Dimaro, turn south on Route SS239 into Madonna Di Campiglio.
Cross-country trail summary:
1) Madonna di Campiglio - locality Campo Carlo Magno and locality Ritorto (30km)
2) S. Antonio Mavignola - cross-country touring path to Val dAgola, km 10, to Val Brenta, km 6, to Vallesinella Falls, km 8
3) Pinzolo - locality Prà Rodont, cross-country skiing excursion path, km 4
4) Pinzolo-Carisolo-Giustino-Caderzone - 15km -ring, partly floodlit
5) Carisolo - 5km Frassanida path (equipped with homologated signs, bathrooms and room for waxing skiis). Cross-Country Training Centre recognized by FISI – 2Km floodlit ringo
6) Spiazzo Rendena - Pelugo - Vigo Rendena (7Km Masere path)
Overall, Madonna Di Campiglio is the 3rd most popular cross country ski trail of all 16 cross country skiing in Italy.