Best North Central Trail System Snowmobiling

The 12th most popular snowmobile trail in North Dakota.

  North Dakota, US


  July 14, 2016

The North Central Trail System is very unique because it is located in four different counties and connects to three other snowmobile trail systems. The counties it lies in are Ramsey, Benson, Tonwer, and Pierce. The system serves the communities of Penn, Churchs Ferry, Cando, Bisbee, Wolford, Leeds, Rugby, and Balta. The trails headquarters are in Leeds with their club being the Northern Exposure Club, with approximately 100 members. The other club which is in the system is the Northern Lights Club out of Rugby, with approximately 80 members. The other systems which the North Central Trail are connected to are Lake Region to the east, Hideaway Trails to the south, and Sno Trails of Minot to the west. The North Central Trail System consists of 250 miles of trail with 200 miles groomed and 50 miles signed, but ungroomed. The riding is 80% cross country riding with the other 20% ditch riding. The trail gives the rider a great cross section of terrain that North Dakota has to offer.

The Northern Lights Trailblazers Snowmobile Club has blazed a trail of excitement through Rugby, ND and you are invited to join in the winter fun! The Northern Lights Trail covers approximately 130 miles and is located in the west central part of the state. The trail system centers around the city of Rugby and runs both east and west of town. The trail to the east goes to Wolford, which has food and gas. This also, is where the trail ties in with the Northern Exposure Trail system. This portion is groomed by a Tucker. The trail to the west goes to Towner, which has food and gas. At Towner you can access the trail that runs west to Minot. Leaving Towner the trail angles southeast to a warming house and onto Balta, which has food. From Balta the trail runs north to Rugby. The city of Rugby offers great lodging accommodations, dining choices, shopping and services

Overall, North Central Trail System is the 12th most popular snowmobile trail of all 17 snowmobiling rides in North Dakota.

Local Contacts:  ND State Parks (701) 328-5357; ND Tourism (800) 435-5663; Snowmobile North Dakota (701) 328-5357 or (800) HELLO-ND.

Best Season:  Dec. - Feb.

Reference Source:  click here

Date Published:  12/30/2015

Date Updated:  7/14/2016

ID:  17024

 Where To Go Next

© 1997-2019 · TRAILSOURCE.COM All Rights Reserved.

© 1997-2019 · TRAILSOURCE.COM 
All Rights Reserved.

Usage Covered By TERMS.


Our one-step registration gives you instant, unlimited access to all of our printable trail guides for ALL sports in ALL regions worldwide.

For snowmobiling the North Central Trail System in North Dakota, our printable trail guides offers trail descriptions, maps, lodging suggestions, driving directions, levels of difficulty and points-of-contact.